A hefty serving of upbeat bayou boogie!
Zydeco is a satisfying survey of the fascinating fusion of French and African culture in Louisiana and features most of the genre's biggest stars including Clifton Chenier, Boozoo Chavis, Buckwheat Zydeco, Beau Jocque, Keith Frank, Geno Delafose, Chris Ardoin, Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas, Queen Ida, and Zydeco Force as well as regional favorites Rosie Ledet, The Creole Zydeco Farmers and Jude Taylor.
Putumayo World Music was established in 1993 to introduce people to the music of the world’s cultures. The label was started as an offshoot of the Putumayo clothing and handicraft company, after its founder, Dan Storper, was surprised by the extraordinary response to the international music he had begun playing in his stores. Putumayo’s meticulously researched and curated musical journeys were so successful that, in 1997, Storper sold the clothing company so he could focus his attention on the music business. For the past 21 years, Putumayo has been known for its joyful compilations of great international music that support the company’s motto: “Guaranteed to make you feel good!”
Putumayo’s distinctive CD covers feature the colorful art of British illustrator Nicola Heindl, whose folkloric style illuminates the company’s mission: to connect the traditional and the contemporary through music and art. By combining appealing music and striking visual aesthetics with creative retail marketing, Putumayo has developed a unique brand identity, a rarity in today’s artist-based music industry.
Putumayo is considered a music industry pioneer and leader in developing the non-traditional retail market and has built a global network of more than 5,000 book, gift, craft, clothing, health food and other specialty retailers that play its music and sell its CDs. Storper’s vision of establishing a global company and lifestyle brand has been furthered with offices in the Europe, Latin America and Australia and distribution in more than 80 countries.
The company’s commitment to helping communities in the countries where the music originates has led to the label contributing more than one million dollars to non-profit organizations around the world.
1. Creole Farmers Stomp - The Creole Zydeco Farmers
2. Co Fa - Keith Frank & The Soileau Zydeco Band
3. You're No Good For Me - Rosie Ledet
4. What You Gonna Do? - Beau Jocque
5. I'm In Love - Nathan And The Zydeco Cha Chas
6. Burnin' Flames Special - Jude Taylor & His Burning Flames
7. Lula Lula Don't You Go To Bingo - Boozoo Chavis
8. My Girl Josephine - Queen Ida & Her Zydeco Band
9. Calinda - Clifton Chenier
10. I'm On The Wonder - Buckwheat Zydeco
11. Bye-Bye Mon Neg - Geno Delafose And French Rockin' Boogie
12. Hoochie Coochie - Joe K K And Zydeco Force
13. Stay In Or Stay Out - Pass The Dutchie - Chris Ardoin & Double Clutchin'
Publication Date: January 25, 2000